Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

{W5H} Rob Kempson

Rob Kempson is a stylin', sartorial wunderkind in our little Arts and Education Community. We were introduced a couple of years ago when I was on a playwright guest panel [along with the wonderful Marjorie Chan] for The Paprika Festival, of which Rob was in his first season as Artistic Producer. But it wasn't until the Canadian Stage intensive that I was able to get to know him. Busy as ever, he is still the Artistic Producer of The Paprika Festival, sits on the board of PAONE, just wrapped up his three-year tenure as Education Manager at Canadian Stage and is now the new Associate Artistic Producer at Theatre Passe Muraille. Phew! 


A splendid feature of the W5H series, is that each featured Artist Educator generates a new set of questions for a yet-to-be-determined next artist. So, these questions for Rob come courtesy of Cathy Nosaty:





Where were you when you first heard music that made a huge impact on you?
That's almost impossible to say. The story goes that I asked my mom for piano lessons when I was five. We didn't have a piano in the house so I'm not sure how or why it occurred to me. Either way, she said no--largely because I was the type who wanted to try/do/make/eat/play something different everyday. As it turns out I kept on asking and she finally gave in when I was seven. That's also the year when I joined the church choir as a Boy Soprano (sexy, I know). After me, the youngest member in the choir was my dad. So I guess if I had to pick a place it would be my parents' church.
 
What was your first favourite music?
My first favourite music was undoubtedly The Phantom of the Opera. I liked lots of music at that time, but nothing else impacted me in the same way as that show. During recess--EVERY recess--my friend Kathryn and I would kick people out of the tube slide so that we could sing through the entire show from the little lyric books that came with the cassettes. We thought the acoustics were best in the tube slide and we were in Grade 6, so no one else really had a chance at the slide. I can still remember arguing over who got to sing Christine's part in Angel of Music. Sometimes I wish my life were more like that still. Or maybe I just wish that I could still sing that part.
 
When did you realize that there were songs out there that expressed feelings and ideas similar to yours?
Shortly after I fell in love with Phantom, I fell in love with Musical Theatre in general. I think that the lyrical content of musicals, the emotion that they evoke, the stories that they tell always mean more than the verse and chorus of a hit pop song. When I found musicals, I found myself unable to separate the song from the story and the music took me away on a complete journey, rather than providing background entertainment. I think that's why kids connect with Disney movie musicals. Everytime you hear the song, you are transported. As much as Gaga makes me want to dance, she has yet to transport me.
 
Who was your favourite musician/band?
Jann Arden. Without a doubt. Something about her three-chord compositions and nasal voice made my pre-adolescent self shudder with excitement. I think I've seen her upwards of five times to date, and I would still go see her again if the opportunity presented itself. One time, my friend and I drove to Massey Hall (from Kingston) to see her, and we had won backstage passes because we were "Jann's Fanns" online. That's real dedication--becoming a fan long before facebook redesigned the meaning of that term. Even though her new stuff isn't that great I still have every album.
 
How did you feel listening to your favourite music?
All of my playlists are labelled by feelings, not categories. Music has always gotten under my skin and made me feel physical impulses--to dance, to sing-along, to write, to compose. It's not uncommon to see me bounce to the beat while riding the subway, or full-out tap on the platform. It's also not uncommon for me to miss my stop because I'm involved in a song that I'm listening to (although sometimes it's just because I love the Tetris app). I think my connection with music is best described by when/how I listen to it; when I'm listening to music, that is my primary activity. I cannot listen and work, listen and write, listen and anything. It consumes my whole feeling. Now doesn't that sound all artsy... sheesh.
[young Rob and friends]

You will find Rob at the helm of The Paprika Festival, running March 18-26th, at the Tarragon Theatre. The festival is celebrating it's 10th Anniversary this year. It features incredible, original performances by young people and it's absolutely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment