Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

{speed date} : locavore edition - stephen colella

Just about this time last year, I was acting one of the most fun shows I've ever done - The Monster Under the Bed, by Kevin Dyer, directed by the splendid Nina Lee Aquino - at Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People [LKTYP]. I loved loved loved the character I was playing - well, three characters as I played all the women in the play - but the precocious little girl, Celine, was my favourite. The not-so-secret was I wasn't acting. That's me. Not as a kid, but in real life. 


LKTYP is but a hop, skip and a jump from where I live. On my first day of rehearsal for Monster, I clocked my commute - 6 minutes from my front door to the stage door. Lorraine Kimsa is chock full of wonderful people and fantastic artists, one of which is Company Dramaturg, Stephen Colella


For this feature, I asked my friend Darrel Gamotin to give me a list of speed date questions. In the play, I was Darrel's teacher, girlfriend [8 years old -um?] AND mom [wha?]. And Darrel used to be my neighbour.  So in the spirit of good neighbours and the good times we all had during Monster, I sent his questions to Stephen.




How do you feel about food? What do you like to eat? What do like to cook?
I love food.  It tastes good and it sustains me.  I’m a vegetarian so that factors into what I like to eat and it is all too long to list (Recent indulgence: vegetarian poutine from Poutini’s).  I like to cook soups.  I also make a decent fajita.

What do you like to do on your spare time?
Bike, sleep, volunteer, read, answer speed dating surveys.

What do you do otherwise?
As in, not in my spare time?  That would, I imagine, be my work time.  I’m a dramaturg.  I work mainly at Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People, but I also freelance.

Where did you grow up?
Bucks County Pennsylvania, which is just northeast of Philadelphia.

What's your family like?
I’m an only child, so my immediate family was always just me, Mom and Dad (and lots and lots of pets).  I’ve got extended family on both sides as well as my Dad was one of six and my Mom one of four.

Who is your dream guy and why?
Darrel Gamotin.  Except maybe taller, smarter, sassier, richer, funnier and more handsome.  Oh, and the why would be because he picked these questions for me.

Do you watch sports? If not can you name any teams you may know just for fun?
I watch hockey and I’m a Philadelphia Flyers fan.  You may boo now if you wish.

Do you have any feelings about Radiohead, Jay-Z or Justin Bieber?
I got 99 Problems and Thom Yorke ain’t one.  I have no feelings about the Bieb, especially not the Bieber Fever.

If you were writing a profile on a dating site how would describe yourself?
I quickly checked a dating site I was on and I said “While I enjoy tacos, I’m more of a fajita fan”.  This not only corroborates my answer to question one but explains my lack of success with online dating.

If your life could be a movie for a day what movie would it be and why?
Monty Python and the Holy Grail so that I could have an excuse to have an outrageous French accent.

________
DING!

Darrel and Stephen, I think you are a perfect match! You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment