Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

{speed date} : locavore edition - jordan tannahill

In terms of artists in my neighbourhood, you can't get more locavore than Jordan Tannahill. I met Jordan in 2009 when I produced a play reading series for Roseneath Theatre and was immediately smitten with this vibrant playwright and his play Get Yourself Home Skyler James. We reconnected again in August 2010 when we discovered we were both participating in Project Humanity's new project. One day as we were chatting in the lobby of Covenant House, we talked about our short bike ride to Yonge and Gerrard, only to discover that our commute was the same. Exactly the same. Turns out we live five floors apart in the same building.


It was the best discovery ever. We share a Bodum of coffee, a fruit salad and toasted muesli bagels at least once a week. Suddenly playwriting isn't so lonely anymore. 


Here's a three minute date with Jordan:





What are you most proud of in your life?
Being a good brother.

Where do you see yourself in five years' time?
Drinking coffee with you at Dark Horse.

What 3 words would your best friend use to describe you?
Full of vigour.

If you had only six months to live, what would you do first?
I’d stop working on this Ontario Arts Council grant.

Are you an outdoor or an indoor person and what do you enjoy about that?
Outdoor for sure. I feel best when I’m in the woods, camping, exploring something.

What would you prefer, a day at the races or a night at the theatre?
A day at the races! With my friend Mike. I spend all my time at the theatre anyway. 

What do you do for fun?
My boyfriend.

Who was your hero as a child?
My grandpa.

Do you believe that the cup is half empty or half full?
Half full. Preferably of red wine.

If you could have lunch with any person, living or dead, who would it be and why?
I would have lunch with Jesus because I like fish and there’d be lots of it (and I probably wouldn’t have to pay).

If you could time travel to the past to correct any mistakes you feel you've made, would you?
If I could travel to the past I’d be too busy warning people not to invest in Lehman Brothers to bother.

If you won the lottery, how would you spend your millions?
I would buy a theatre and program a season of Daniel Karasik’s work.

If you were an animal in the wild, what would you be?
I’ve thought about this a lot. I think I’ve finally decided upon ocelot.

What was the first record you ever bought?
The first CD I ever bought was Ace of Base. I was rather obsessed with ‘The Sign’.

Where in the world would you most like to be this weekend and why?
Right where I am: at my grandparents’ cabin, eating turkey pot pie and writing a new play.

What luxury item would you take on a desert island?
My boyfriend. 
__________
Ding!


Jordan is Artistic Director of Suburban Beast and my little brother from another mother.


Who are the artists in your neighbourhood that you have coffee with?

No comments:

Post a Comment