Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

{speed date} : locavore edition - byron abalos

A stones-throw to the east of where I live is The Distillery, which is home to, among other things, The Young Centre for the Performing Arts. Tonight David Yee's play Paper Series, opens there. And in the cast is Byron Abalos.


Byron is like family. The kind of family that you may not see very often, even though you live in the same city. But when you see him, it's pure joy. He's the kind of family that you love to tease and also beam with pride about [ie. named one of NOW Magazine's Top 10 Theatre Artists for 2010, and his play Brown Balls is premiering at the Factory Theatre in May]. By wears his heart on his sleeve in everything he does. He's the kind of person that once you get to know him, you'd say, yeah, that guy's family.


Among the many things on By's resumé is the comedy troupe Asiansploitation. In this Speed Date, Byron answers questions from fellow Asiansploit-er, Gene Abella*. 




So what do you do?
I act, write, produce and play. Oh and I like to dance.

How long have you been a cop?
Shhhh, I'm undercover. I do have a Chicago Police t-shirt that I like to use when I'm in the US.

What made you want to come to something like this (Because there is a surprising amount to eligible and attractive women that go to these things.)?
My wife and I always wanted to go to speed dating thing together. When we finally came to each other, we were planning to start making out vigorously and storming out together in a passionate embrace. But we thought it might be too mean a prank.

When was the last time your were on a date?
This past Monday. My wife and I found that Plaza Flamingo has an $8.99 buffet! Fried plantains...yum.

What do you do for fun?
Play basketball, do crosswords, watch movies, karaoke and play games - lots and lots of games. Of either the electronic or the board variety, not the ones involving hearts.

So the Leafs are 4 points away from the playoff spot do you think they have a chance?
Shouldn't they be the Toronto Maple
Leaves?

Do you live downtown? Do you live in the city?
Yup. Why? You looking for easy access?

What's your favorite band?
I don't really do bands. I'm not cool enough. I'm more of a solo R&B crooner kind of guy.

Do you have any brothers and sisters?
2 younger sisters.

What's the last good movie you saw?
It's sad but I don't remember thinking anything I've seen lately was good. But some of my favourites are Three Amigos, Singing in the Rain and Shawshank Redemption.

________________________________
Ding!



*when I called up Darrel to give me Speed Date questions, he was hanging out with Gene. Being a speed-dating veteran**, Gene graciously provided his list of tried and true questions. 


**veteran = one speed date event



No comments:

Post a Comment