Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

{dressing room essentials} keith barker

As I mentioned earlier, I was doing a show at LKTYP [soon to be changed back to YPT in July] at this time last year. I loved my little dressing room - the temperamental dimmer on the lights, well-used chairs, the utilitarian hooks. In between scenes, I used to go into that little room and imagine how casts-gone-by would personalize this blank-canvas of a space for themselves. 

In this new feature, I've asked friends in shows to take a picture or two [or in Keith's case, four] of their dressing room spaces and send me a list of 5 things they consider essential for their space and why. 

First up, Keith Barker. Ask anyone about Keith and undoubtedly they will say "he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met". So true. He's also a wonderful photographer. Keith is currently acting in Tombs of a Vanishing Indian by Marie Clements at Buddies in Bad Times Theatre.  









  1. script.  i like to have it on hand so i can look at my notes, to run lines, to check beats, blocking and other such things.
  2. smudge kit.  in the last few years i've been in several plays that dealt with some very difficult material.  smudging grounds me, and clears my head and heart.
  3. valor.  it's an essential oil i use during shows.  some wise women gave it to me during a show once and i've used it ever since.
  4. water bottle. nothing like keeping hydrated.  especially when i start getting the nervousness.
  5. coffee.  i like a little java before a show.  my mom likes a cup of coffee at night and i like that she is part of my preshow ritual.   





Tombs of a Vanishing Indian is on stage until March 27th. 






Keith's debut play The Hours that Remain will have a public reading on March 28th, 2011 as Part of Foundry Theatre Company's current season.


ps. I love that valor is essential.



No comments:

Post a Comment